Thursday, October 23, 2008

Author Stormy Glenn

AUTHOR STORMY GLENN



Let’s start getting your shine on. Tell us who you are beyond an author.

Oh boy, me beyond being an author… that’s a big one. First and foremost, I’m a Mom of six wonderful teenagers, three boys and three girls. I am also married to the man of my dreams, my high school sweetheart (yes, there’s great romance story there), and he is the model I use for all of my heroes. I read like crazy and I love to cook. I also have neon green toenails, I am addicted to iced vanilla mochas with whip cream, and have a secret obsession for B-Rated monster/disaster movies.


Show us when you realized you had a passion for writing?

I can’t remember a time when I didn’t love to write, whether it was for school or for pleasure. I’ve just always done it. I used to get extra credit in school by writing essays. I started writing stories about ten years ago, mostly for my own pleasure and because I had this burning need to get the “characters” out of my head. Once a story idea takes place, I become obsessed with getting it out. I go through withdrawals if I can’t get to my computer to write. It’s not a pretty sight. About six months ago, my husband bought me a laptop. After that, I kind of lost my ever-loving mind. I’ve been writing non-stop ever since.


We understand that uniqueness counts in the literary world, but we equally understand there must be relatability. Tell us an author with whom you share similar writing styles.

Oh, I’m not sure my “style” matches any one author specifically. I have authors I wish I shared a writing style with… J.L. Langley, Carol Lynne, maybe Jade Buchanan. These are some of the authors that I read and wish my style was similar with. If I was to say who my style was most similar to, though, it would be mostly like Carol Lynne.


Show us how your styles are similar.

I think my style is closest to Carol’s because of the way I feel when I read her work. I cry, I laugh, I get angry, I fall in love with her characters. That’s how I feel about my characters. They live in my head (and it’s a mess up there). They live, and laugh, and love through every word I write. That’s what I get from Carol’s books. We both believe in happy endings, that everyone deserves true love, and that to find and keep true love, you have to work at it. But, it’s worth it in the end.



Tell us your preferred writing genre and the genre you prefer to read.

Hmmm… that’s a hard one since I don’t have favorite books, I have favorite bookshelves. But, if I had to nail it down, I would say that I love to read erotic, paranormal, gay, sci-fi, werewolf romances. I also would have a hard time picking a genre for my writing. I write whatever comes into my head. Currently, though, I have been writing erotic paranormal, werewolf, futuristic, contemporary, gay, ménage a trois romances.


Show us what your audience looks like.

My audience would feel a tingle in the middle of their palm when they read a really good erotic romance/romance novel. They would cry at the sad things and the conflicts, maybe even laugh at the humor. They might come across a passage that they just had to read to someone else. It would be all they could do not to go to the end of the book and read it just to make sure that the characters had a happy ending. My audience would believe in true love and happily ever after endings.


Tell us an important lesson, on the business side of publishing, that you've learned on your journey.

The most important lesson I learned was that the work doesn’t stop when you sign the contract. That was the most astonishing thing to me. I just assumed I would send them my manuscript, sign a contract, do a couple of promo things and that was it. Boy, was I wrong! I spend one day doing promos, answering emails, updating my blog, myspace, and website, popping in at my yahoo groups, etc… the other day is spent writing. Luckily, I write fast or I’d never get another book done. And my books haven’t even been released yet. I can’t imagine what it will be like when they are.


Going back to the beginning, show us the day you received your publication offer or the first time you saw your bound book.

My first three publication offers came very quickly, all within the same ten days. Talk about being overwhelmed. But, my first one came on a Sunday. We had been out of town all day and I was checking my email. I was so stunned, I had to read the offer three times before it sank in. I just turned to my husband and said, “I’ve been publish”. It was pretty much the same thing the next week when the next offer came, and four days later when the third offer came. I’m still stunned. I keep reading the offer emails over and over again.


Tell us your expectations of an aspiring author approaching you for information about writing/publishing?

The first thing I would tell them is to never give up. You’re going to receive a zillion rejection letters… expect it. But try to look at it as a learning experience. At least your name is getting out there.


The second thing I would tell you is not to be afraid to ask questions. Most of the authors I have met have been very friendly and helpful. They want to see us all succeed and they know more than you do. And remember that no matter how many books we have published or how long we’ve been in the business, there is always room for improvement.


The last thing I would tell you is to be passionate about what you do… love it, live it, breath it.


Ready to shine? Tell us the name of your book.

Secret Desires, Siren Publishing, October 20, 2008
The Katzman’s Mate, Siren Publishing, release early 2009
A Promise Kept, Torquere Press, release early 2009
And I just received an offer from Siren Publishing for four more books, My Lupine Lover, Sweet Treats, Full Moon Mating, and Forbidden Desires (sequel to Secret Desires). These don’t have a release dates yet.


From one of your character's point of view, show us why we should buy it.

If I were Leyland from Secret Desires I would tell you to buy the book because I’m just that damn cute. How could you possibly pass on a face like this sexy? Just don’t tell my cowboy I said that. He hates it when I flirt. When he gets upset, the fur will fly and I’m not cleaning it up afterwards.


Tell us where we can find you on the internet.

Stormy’s website: www.stormyglenn.com
Stormy at Manic Readers: http://manicreaders.com/StormyGlenn/
Stormy’s Email: stormyglenn@hotmail.com





2 comments:

  1. Six teenagers, wow, bless you and time to do your thing, my hat is off to you! Great interview

    angelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol...you do realise that I can do this only because one, they're at school right now. And two, they're teenagers. Mom has cooty's for the next couple of years.

    And I loved doing this interview. Thanks,

    Stormy

    ReplyDelete

Interviewers

JC Martin is an aspiring author, a mother, and a wife. She has been reading books as far back as her memory will allow her to remember. She has always used books as an escape from her everyday life. Her passion for words became evident to her English teacher in the eighth grade. Since then Jennifer has been writing non-stop, but it was not until 2006 when she finally realized her passion. She reviews books because she truly loves reading, and wants to spread the word to more than just the people she knows.
DJ Frazier is an Ohio-born, spoken-word poet who has composed poetry since she was able to hold a laddie pencil. As reviewer for A Place Of Our Own (APOOO) and aspiring novelist, she dabbles in the literary scene from all perspectives. She has been published on www.thebacklist.net, interviewed on www.blogginginblack.com, and is currently submitting fiction manuscripts to publishers while juggling daughterhood, sisterhood, wifedom, parenthood, and of course, writing. Outside of family and all things literary, Darnetta overindulges in Hip-Hop, dabbles in computer graphic design, and creates handcrafted cards, candles, and jewelry.