Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Author Brooklyn Darkchild


AUTHOR BROOKLYN DARKCHILD


Brooklyn Darkchild is a 46 years old mother of nine with a life long passion for writing. A New York transplant born and raised in (you guessed it) the borough of Brooklyn, Ms. Darkchild has called Cincinnati her home for the past ten years. Her debut novel, This Ain't No Hearts and Flowers Love Story won the 2008 Reader Views Book of the Year Award in the Great Lakes/Regional category as well as placing third in the Spiritual/Religion category. Currently a day care teacher, Ms. Darkchild is working on the follow up to her award winning novel in her spare time.

This Ain’t No Hearts and Flowers Love Story



Tell us a little bit about you outside of being an author.

My life has always revolved around children. I’m the neighborhood candy lady whom everybody calls "Grandma." I’ll take as many kids as I can cram into my van to church on Sundays. I’m a mother of nine and grandmother of fifteen with another one on the way. I started babysitting when I was ten, went on to become a part time teacher’s aide, a lead teacher, then a day care administrator.

What is your earliest writing memory?


I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t reading and/or writing. I learned to read when I was three and learned to write soon after.

What feelings do you experience once you are satisfied with your completed manuscript(s)?

There’s a feeling of elation that I cannot describe, it’s just supremely satisfying. There’s also a let down, because that project is over and done with; and the fear that people might not like it.

In your upcoming release or newly released book, how did you come up with the idea of your main character(s)?

Obie and Princess were characters I’d fooled around with since high school. I wanted to write a love story from the perspective of both the man and the woman and to show how differently two people can view the exact same event. I figured the more opposite the two were the better the drama. Obie was already this hardened street dude so I decided to make Princess this snooty rich girl from Park Ave. I needed a deep bond to hold these two total opposites together, and since Princess was motherless like me, I decided to make Obie motherless too.

Tell us a little bit about your work in progress and/or your upcoming release.

This Ain’t No Hearts and Flowers Love Story is a raw and gritty tale of the love between two people scarred by the absence of their respective mothers. Obie and Princess love each other dearly but their baggage keeps getting in the way. Besides the motherless issue I tackle racial identity and skin color conflict, drug abuse, prostitution, homosexuality, rape, stalking and mental illness. Those are heavy subjects, and parts of this story are very uncomfortable, but the story is told in a way that’s not only poignant but Laugh Out Loud funny as well. This Ain’t No is part of a trilogy: the second book, We Still Ain’t Got This Right is coming out early in 2009 with the third book out sometime in 2010.

I’m a big believer that word of mouth creates more sales than advertisements. Let’s say I’ve never read any of your books before, how would you pitch the idea of your latest release to me?

Start with the question: Is it worse to love your mother only to lose her or never to have a mother at all? Streetwise Obie and rich girl Princess never debated this; being equally motherless has bound these two opposites their entire lives. Obie has always been there for Princess, so when she decides at eighteen to become an R&B diva, Obie: who was discovered dancing on a street corner at age eleven, knows just how to make that dream come true. Along the path to stardom these two inevitably fall in love, but light skinned Obie and dark skinned Princess experience not only social class differences but skin color drama galore. Added to the mix are Obie’s flock of groupies and Princess’s stalking ex boyfriend, but when Obie’s fear of abandonment clashes with Princess’s need for emotional attachment the fireworks really begin. Then the question becomes: can a motherless child ever truly open his or her heart enough to love someone else?

I consider myself a tough critic when reviewing books. What do or would you do if you receive a mediocre or less than average rating from a reviewer or reader?

After I wipe away my tears??? All kidding aside, this is a very strange book: people either are crazy about it or they absolutely hate it, there’s no middle ground; although I thank God for Jesus that the vast majority are crazy about it. Because the premise and the format are so different I realize I can’t please everybody. I try hard to be open minded and weigh each criticism on its own merits but I have to admit it hurts. It’s like someone called my kid ugly, even though I know she’s no stunning super model. It keeps me humble though. God knows my ego needs to be checked every once in a while.

What authors influence your writing dreams, goals and aspirations?

I’ve never patterned myself after anyone else, I just wanna be Darkchild. I’d love to be in the game until I’m old and decrepit, but if I only write one or two books that are impactful, that’s enough for me.
What books would you recommend on writing?

This Ain’t No Hearts and Flowers Love Story broke the mold on a lot of things the books say you shouldn’t do so I may not be the best person to ask that question, but it’s different for a reason. I will say that anyone who even thinks they want to be a writer should sign up for a writing fundamentals class and a creative writing class. At the least. You have to know what the rules are before you decide to break them.

If you could change one thing you did during your road to publication, what would it be and what would you have done different?

At the very beginning I jumped at the first "agent" that accepted me and ended up stuck in a contract with someone who charged a fee for everything except blowing her nose. That wasted six months of not only my life but my book’s life as well. If I had to do it all over again I’d do way more research before signing with anyone.

What advice would you give an aspiring author?

Beware of leeches and do your homework. There are people out there who don’t give a kitty about your project, they’re only interested in taking your money. That includes the wealth of vanity presses that exist. And don’t let anyone steal your dream. A good friend of mine had the same experience with a less than reputable agent and she gave up on the idea of having her book published. She posted the whole book online instead.

Where can readers learn more about you and your books?

Readers can find out more about me and read chapter excerpts on my website:

www.brooklyndarkchild.com Or my MySpace: www.myspace.com/bklyndarkchild

Thank you, Brooklyn Darkchild, for taking the time to share with the Wednesdays & Fridays blog family. We wish you continued success in your future endeavors.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the interview! It was a pleasure

    DJ Frazier

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the title of the book - we need THAT book...the "real" love story...unflowered.

    ReplyDelete

Interviewers

JC Martin is an aspiring author, a mother, and a wife. She has been reading books as far back as her memory will allow her to remember. She has always used books as an escape from her everyday life. Her passion for words became evident to her English teacher in the eighth grade. Since then Jennifer has been writing non-stop, but it was not until 2006 when she finally realized her passion. She reviews books because she truly loves reading, and wants to spread the word to more than just the people she knows.
DJ Frazier is an Ohio-born, spoken-word poet who has composed poetry since she was able to hold a laddie pencil. As reviewer for A Place Of Our Own (APOOO) and aspiring novelist, she dabbles in the literary scene from all perspectives. She has been published on www.thebacklist.net, interviewed on www.blogginginblack.com, and is currently submitting fiction manuscripts to publishers while juggling daughterhood, sisterhood, wifedom, parenthood, and of course, writing. Outside of family and all things literary, Darnetta overindulges in Hip-Hop, dabbles in computer graphic design, and creates handcrafted cards, candles, and jewelry.