Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Author Gwynne Forster



AUTHOR GWYNNE FORSTER



Gwynne Forster was born in North Carolina, grew up in Washington, D. C., and has lived, studied and worked in New York City ever since she came of voting age. She considers herself a humanitarian, a perspective that she inherited from her mother, a high school principal, and which she also attributes to her work and education in the social sciences, more specifically, demography. Her fiction writing reflects her training in the sociology of the family and her understanding of inter-personal relations. It should not be surprising then, that quite a few of Gwynne’s novels and novellas are set within the context of the family.



Fiction writing is Gwynne Forster’s second career. She holds bachelors and masters degrees in sociology, a master’s degree in economics/demography and has additional graduate credits in journalism. As a demographer, she is widely published. She is formerly chief of (non-medical) research in fertility and family planning in the Population Division of the United Nations in New York and served for four years as chairperson of the International Programme Committee of the International Planned Parenthood Federation (London, England). These positions took her on official business to sixty-three developed and developing countries. Gwynne sings on her church choir, loves to entertain, and is a museum hopper, gourmet cook and avid gardener. She enjoys classical music, opera, jazz and blues with her husband with whom she lives in New York City.

This is just an excerpt of Gwynne's bio; to read the rest head over to her website.

Tell us a little bit about you outside of being an author.

I'm a demographer, and as such, I worked for seventeen years a Chief of Fertility and Planning Research in the Population Division, United Nations, New York. Following that, I served as chairwoman of the International Programme Committe, International Planned Parenthood Federation, London with leadership of its family planning programmes in 126 different countries. These positions have taken me to 63 developing countries that I can count from memory, and I have visited or worked in the vast majority of European countries. I have three university degrees, I love music, especially jazz, blues and all classical forms. I'm married, have raised a stepson, and I live with my husband, who is also a demographer.

What is your earliest writing memory?

I think about age five, because I could read and write at that age, but I don't recall specific things that I wrote.

What feelings do you experience once you are satisfied with your completed manuscript(s)?

Enormous relief. By the time I finish a manuscript, my next one is already fighting for room in my head.

In your upcoming release or newly released book, how did you come up with the idea of your main character(s)?

A Different Kind of Blues is one of two books due out in October. It is mainstream women's fiction. Having to fulfill a contract, I asked myself what kind of heroine would offer a challenge to me after having written almost forty books and novellas. I was watching television and saw a commercial about a woman who'd just been told she had two months in which to live. I didn't want to make it quite that melodramatic, but I wanted a heroine strong enough to cope with a terrible shock without having to write a morbid story about her. I came up with Petra Fields, who set out to do all the things she'd always wanted to do, credit card bills be hanged.

Tell us a little bit about your work in progress and/or your upcoming release.

My current project, Finding Mr. Right, is about a woman hell bent on exercising her right to chose her man herself, without any one's help. Even when the ideal guy is presented to her, she insists on doing her own choosing and nearly ruins everything.

I'm a big believer that word of mouth creates more sales than advertisements. Let's say I've never read any of your books before, how would you pitch the idea of your latest release to me?

My latest release has received outstanding reviews, and if you like enough suspense to keep you turning the pages and even dreading possible outcomes, enough mind-blowing sex to make you jealous of the heroine and an Alpha Male you'll dream about forever, Drive Me Wild is for you.


I consider myself a tough critic when reviewing books. What do or would you do if you receive a mediocre or less than average rating from a reviewer or reader?

I'd shrug it off. A review is just one person's opinion.

What authors influence your writing dreams, goals and aspirations?

I can't think of any author who has influenced my aspirations insofar as fiction writing is concerned. That is because I became a novel writer by chance after having enjoyed a highly successful career as a demographer, one for which I am trained. All I receive from fiction writing is, as far as I am concerned, pure gravy.


What books would you recommend on writing?

John Gardner, The Art Of Fiction

If you could change one thing you did during your road to publication, what would it be and what would you have done different?

I wouldn't have written a romance as my first book. I write mainstream fiction, and some of my books have won awards, but they are always judged as romances, because reviewers associate me with romance. And when they complain about something, it's usually what distinguished mainstream women's fiction from a romance.

What advice would you give an aspiring author?

Don't be disappointed by rejections. When you get one, clean up the manuscript and send it to the next editor on your list. The appraisal of fiction is, in some important aspects, highly subjective.

Where can readers learn more about you and your books?

Probably that I have great respect for the English language, don't feel comfortable using blue language and love nature and people, not to mention tall, good-looking, educated and successful men.

You can find out more about Gwynne Forster and her books on her website: www.gwynneforster.com

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful Interview, I have enjoyed Ms. Forster's work for years!

    Blessings,
    angelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'My latest release has received outstanding reviews, and if you like enough suspense to keep you turning the pages and even dreading possible outcomes, enough mind-blowing sex to make you jealous of the heroine and an Alpha Male you'll dream about forever, Drive Me Wild is for you.'

    Great Interview and Ms. Gwynne you never cease to amaze me...lol.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ladies for stopping by.

    These interviews has introduced me to a bunch of new books to add to my ever growing list of books I want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE Ms. Gwynne, and love the interview! And she's so right about John Gardner, The Art Of Fiction...:-)

    ReplyDelete

Interviewers

JC Martin is an aspiring author, a mother, and a wife. She has been reading books as far back as her memory will allow her to remember. She has always used books as an escape from her everyday life. Her passion for words became evident to her English teacher in the eighth grade. Since then Jennifer has been writing non-stop, but it was not until 2006 when she finally realized her passion. She reviews books because she truly loves reading, and wants to spread the word to more than just the people she knows.
DJ Frazier is an Ohio-born, spoken-word poet who has composed poetry since she was able to hold a laddie pencil. As reviewer for A Place Of Our Own (APOOO) and aspiring novelist, she dabbles in the literary scene from all perspectives. She has been published on www.thebacklist.net, interviewed on www.blogginginblack.com, and is currently submitting fiction manuscripts to publishers while juggling daughterhood, sisterhood, wifedom, parenthood, and of course, writing. Outside of family and all things literary, Darnetta overindulges in Hip-Hop, dabbles in computer graphic design, and creates handcrafted cards, candles, and jewelry.