Thursday, September 25, 2008

Author P. Chez


P. Chez


Let's start getting your shine on. Who are you?



On an everyday basis, some may say that I am a proud mother, a devoted wife, a big sister, a respectful daughter, a loyal friend, and a hard worker. When a pen is in my hand, I have the tendency of becoming a fantasy, a nightmare, a passion, a teacher, or simply put, an emotional piece of artwork. However my response will always be, “I am, PChez, a blessed child of God, all day, baby!”


When did you realize you had a passion for writing?



My mother bought me my very first diary when I was a young girl (maybe 10 years old). It was a Hello Kitty diary that I loved so much. It was full of drawings and every little thing that I felt I wanted to say but dared not to say to my parents or whomever. If you did not see me drawing, then you definitely saw me writing. Those journal entries led to my passion for every type of art there is (literature, fine arts, etc).


All writers adore words. Describe your love affair with writing.



Imagine a canvas with a multitude of brilliant colors splashed on it. Imagine that floating amongst the colors on this canvas are bold shapes and random letters. To the average eye, on this canvas are just colors, letters, and shapes. However the eyes of an artistic soul would see a plentiful source of beauty (beauty in the abstract). I am those random bold shapes and letters. The multitude of colors represents different mental states that have arisen spontaneously in my life (sorrow, hate, love, desire). Emotions are a part of life. Writing is my life. The pen and I are one. A marriage that is yet to be broken.


Name two authors with whom you share similar writing styles.



I like to think that I have my own style of writing, but … Terry McMillan and I are kind of similar when it comes to novels. As for the poetic side of me, I love Maya Angelou and Nikki Giovanni; which are two of the many poetry greats that I look up to.


What makes them similar?



Although some may disagree, Terry McMillan is known for using life experiences as part of her stories. Maya Angelou’s disrupted life inspired her to write. Nikki Giovanni is known for presenting things as she sees it. Most of my writings were started from different encounters that I was either told about or actually ran up against. Regardless if I am writing a story or a poem, like some of the mentioned writers, I love “putting a twist to things” to get my own point across.


Name and thank one author that has been instrumental in inspiring you to write.


Maya Angelou’s I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings really spoke to me. I want to thank Maya Angelou for making me a believer. To me, she illustrated ways in which dramatic situations can be overcome by a strong character and a love for literature. I won’t say that she is the reason why I started writing, but I will say,”Thank you. I am now a woman who has incarnated wisdom and hope, because of your writings”. I enjoyed Mama by Terry McMillan and Black Girl Lost by Donald Goines, but my all time favorite is The Color Purple by Alice Walker.


What does your audience look like?



My audience are mature, everyday people


What's the strangest thing you've seen or heard that somehow made its way into your story?



I once wrote a children’s story with my 5yr old daughter. Most of my work, however, has been written for adults.


New authors usually lack the business knowledge of writing. What has been the most valuable lesson you've learned about things beyond the page?



At one time in life, I thought that the harder my drink was, the easier it will be for me to handle a bad situation. After trying that tactic so many times, I realized that the only thing I was handling was a hangover on the following day. To me, pen plus paper doesn’t equal writing. Instead, pen plus paper equals therapy.


What are your thoughts on rejection letters?



Had you asked me that a few years ago, I would have probably said that rejection letters were like nightmares to me! Now, I believe that there’s a time and place for everything. If I am rejected on anything, I look at it as if it just wasn’t meant for me at that time. Rejection means to refuse consideration, but it definitely does not mean to give up on considerations.


If you approached an author with questions about writing, how would you expect them to respond?


Honestly.


Are you ready to really shine? In 100 words or less, tell the Wednesdays & Fridays Blog readers why your manuscript should be published.



If you are looking for a book that your child can actually enjoy and learn from, then The Talking Tree is your book! Learn facts about Giraffes and their characteristics. Enjoy laughter with your child while reading a story they can comprehend. Bring a child’s imagination to life as they travel with the giraffes in The Talking Tree. A book written for pre-school and kindergartners … Parent and teacher approved!




4 comments:

  1. Thanks PChez for being a part of the Wednesdays & Fridays blog! Enjoyed interviewing you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mature, everyday readers! Sounds like my kind of writer!

    Blessings!
    angelia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wednesdays & Fridays blog rocks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Interviewers

JC Martin is an aspiring author, a mother, and a wife. She has been reading books as far back as her memory will allow her to remember. She has always used books as an escape from her everyday life. Her passion for words became evident to her English teacher in the eighth grade. Since then Jennifer has been writing non-stop, but it was not until 2006 when she finally realized her passion. She reviews books because she truly loves reading, and wants to spread the word to more than just the people she knows.
DJ Frazier is an Ohio-born, spoken-word poet who has composed poetry since she was able to hold a laddie pencil. As reviewer for A Place Of Our Own (APOOO) and aspiring novelist, she dabbles in the literary scene from all perspectives. She has been published on www.thebacklist.net, interviewed on www.blogginginblack.com, and is currently submitting fiction manuscripts to publishers while juggling daughterhood, sisterhood, wifedom, parenthood, and of course, writing. Outside of family and all things literary, Darnetta overindulges in Hip-Hop, dabbles in computer graphic design, and creates handcrafted cards, candles, and jewelry.