Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Author Michelle Larks


Author Michelle Larks



Michelle Larks resides in Chicago with her husband. Before joining the Urban Christian Books family, Mrs. Larks previously released four novels under different publishing houses: A Myriad of Emotions (2003 Ebony Energy), Crisis Mode (2004 Author House, re-released 2005 F&M Enterprises), Mirrored Image (2006 Ocean Mist Press), Who's Your Daddy (2006 Book Surge). The last two books were published through Urban Christian; Keeping Misery Company (2007) and The Legacies (2008).




Tell us a little bit about you outside of being an author.

I am an older sistah, I have two adult daughters, and am employed as a Systems Programmer. I also love watching NBA and NFL games, listening to music, and most of all READING!!!!

What is your earliest writing memory?

My earliest writing memory was of folding sheets of notebook paper in half and creating a book called Return to Oz. I loved the movie The Wizard of Oz when I was a child.

What feelings do you experience once you are satisfied with your completed manuscript(s)?

I feel a sense of sadness in a way when I finish a manuscript, because I've lived and breathed those characters for so many months. When I am in the process of writing a manuscript and I think a portion I wrote was good, I'll get goose bumps.

In your upcoming release or newly released book, how did you come up with the idea of your main character(s)?

The ideas for my characters just popped into my head. I knew I wanted to write a story along the lines that I did and target a younger audience.

Tell us a little bit about your work in progress and/or your upcoming release.

My latest book is titled The Legacies. It's the story of a minister's son and a drug distributo’sr daughter who fall in love during their college years. And how God made a way for two young people from such very diverse backgrounds to overcome their obstacles and forge a lasting relationship.

I'm a big believer that word of mouth creates more sales than advertisements. Let's say I've never read any of your books before, how would you pitch the idea of your latest release to me?

The Legacies has all the elements of an engrossing story. It combines Christian ideals and preaches the importance of celibacy to young people. And most of all it shows us how we are all God's children regardless of our circumstances in life and how he sends Angels during our walk in life to guide our paths.

I consider myself a tough critic when reviewing books. What do or would you do when you receive a mediocre or less than average rating from a reviewer or reader?

I take to heart what the review has said and try to improve upon any imperfections in my next book.

What authors influence your writing dreams, goals and aspirations?

I came from a generation where there wasn't many Afrian American writers. I remember the first African American books I read were by James Baldwin, Donald Goines, and Iceberg Slim and boy did they hook me. I have read a variety of genres by many authors and what inspires me is simply a good story that pulls me in.

What books would you recommend on writing?

The book that Stephen King wrote, On Writing, has some very good writing tidbits.

What advice would you give an aspiring author?

Hold fast to your dreams, you never knew where they might lead you. Talk to published authors and draw on their experiences and advice. You don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Where can readers learn more about you and your books?

Reads can learn about me and my books at www.MichelleLarks.com and www.myspace.com/michellelarks.




1 comment:

  1. I had to come by and give Michelle some love - been a fan of hers for a while...and she's right, Stephen King's ON WRITING is a solid book to read for writing tips and just as a memoir from a writer on writing.

    ReplyDelete

Interviewers

JC Martin is an aspiring author, a mother, and a wife. She has been reading books as far back as her memory will allow her to remember. She has always used books as an escape from her everyday life. Her passion for words became evident to her English teacher in the eighth grade. Since then Jennifer has been writing non-stop, but it was not until 2006 when she finally realized her passion. She reviews books because she truly loves reading, and wants to spread the word to more than just the people she knows.
DJ Frazier is an Ohio-born, spoken-word poet who has composed poetry since she was able to hold a laddie pencil. As reviewer for A Place Of Our Own (APOOO) and aspiring novelist, she dabbles in the literary scene from all perspectives. She has been published on www.thebacklist.net, interviewed on www.blogginginblack.com, and is currently submitting fiction manuscripts to publishers while juggling daughterhood, sisterhood, wifedom, parenthood, and of course, writing. Outside of family and all things literary, Darnetta overindulges in Hip-Hop, dabbles in computer graphic design, and creates handcrafted cards, candles, and jewelry.