Thursday, September 18, 2008

Author JC Martin


JC MARTIN



JC Martin is an aspiring author, a mother, and a wife. She has been reading books as far back as her memory will allow her to remember. She has always used books as an escape from her everyday life. Her passion for words became evident to her English teacher in the eighth grade. Since then Jennifer has been writing non-stop, but it was not until 2006 when she finally realized her passion. She reviews books because she truly loves reading, and wants to spread the word to more than just the people she knows.

Let’s start getting your shine on. Who are you?

This all depends on which name you are referring to. Jennifer Coissiere is a wife, mother, daughter, sister, shoulder to cry on. She is also a student, and a reviewer for APOOO. JC Martin is a writer of poetry, chick-lit, erotica, contemporary fiction and the list goes on. She is also one of the contributors to Wednesdays and Fridays Blog. Bizarre JC Martin is a person who rambles and sees the world without the rose-colored glasses and doesn’t take any type of mess.

When did you realize you had a passion for writing?

I have had this passion for words since junior high school. My first notebook of poetry is here in a drawer. I would see things and write a piece of poetry to capture what I saw. I would feel things and write to capture my emotion. It was one of those pieces of emotion that qualified me as a semi-finalist in The Mule Bone contest back in 1991. That piece was also showcased in my yearbook for all to see.

All writers adore words. Describe your love affair with writing.

If you ask my husband he may agree I’m having a relationship with words and books and he’s my side piece. LOL! No, but seriously words wake up my inner most desires. I experience a feeling of euphoric bliss when I can take my words from the jumbles in my mind and create a place where all is not perfect and I could make a difference by just erasing. In writing I have power that I certainly don’t have in my reality. If writing was taken from me, my spirit would die. I would not be the person I am right now. This I know, because I’ve tried before to step away from writing and I couldn’t do it.

Name two authors with whom you share similar writing styles.

Wow! That’s a hard one. Choosing someone with such great talent and saying I have a similar style…I hope I don’t disappoint them once I have a book out there. Victoria Christopher Murray and Terry McMillan.

What makes them similar?

VCM doesn’t write Christian fiction per se, but she has hints of faith helping the main character get through the troubles. Now both VCM and TM have strong women characters. I believe when you put both of these ladies together, you can empower a woman who, at first, seems a bit whiny. By the end of the book they are strong and independent.

Name and thank one author that has been instrumental in inspiring you to write.

I have met quite a few authors this year alone, who have encouraged me to write. Then there are two who have been there all along proofreading and offering advice. The question is which one do I want to thank the most? Both! Shonell Bacon and Angelia Menchan have reached out to me and have kept me focused and determined to get my writing out there by my standards and not by someone dictating to me how my writing should be. Thanks Ladies, I love you both from the bottom of my heart.

Now let’s get to the nitty gritty. What does your audience look like?

My audience is any random person you see in a crowd. I don’t want to only write for African Americans. I want people outside my race to pick up my books and appreciate the message I have between the lines of a good story.

What genre does your story fall under?

It depends on which one. I have a contemporary fiction book finished. I am currently writing a Paranormal and Christian fiction book. I have a volume of poems finished as well. I also have witty, short stories featuring erotica, romance, and chick-lit.

What’s the strangest thing you’ve seen or heard that somehow made its way into your story?

I once received over 50 phone calls from this loon bat in a day. It was really more like 200, but I lost count after 50.

New authors usually lack the business knowledge of writing. What has been the most valuable lesson you’ve learned about things beyond the page?

If you are not willing to market yourself, chances are you will fail in this business. Writing is a craft, but selling books is a business, and without proper marketing no one will know about your business. Who better to advertise you than you?

What are your thoughts on rejection letters?

I wish I could get one. I submitted my manuscript to a publisher and never even got a rejection letter.

If you approached an author with questions about writing, how would you expect them to respond?

I’m a believer of Paying it Forward. I would love for an author to take the time to answer my questions without making me feel like I am bothering them. No, I don’t want them to read and critique my manuscript but at least share some insight into the literary world without annoyance lacing their voice.

Are you ready to really shine? In 100 words or less, tell the Wednesdays & Fridays Blog readers why your manuscript should be published.

My manuscript should be published because I offer more than just sex on a page. I have conflicts and drama that would have your tongue hanging from your head. I provide a view into the life of a woman scorned by not just one person, but two. In the same token I provide another woman who went from having low self-esteem to high independence. My unique voice and storytelling will keep the reader guessing the outcome while begging for more.

8 comments:

  1. Mama Deep is so proud this morning, I love you and am grateful for all my children...

    Do You!

    Crazy Love!!!
    angelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful interview and kudos to these two wonderful individuals:
    Shonell Bacon and Angelia Menchan have reached out to me and have kept me focused and determined to get my writing out there by my standards and not by someone dictating to me how my writing should be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your story, JC. And, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only person in our group with multiple personalities. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey sis! You know what I think. Thanks for the interview

    Darnetta

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are ready to go J.C. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice interview!
    Keep working towards your goal

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learn something new everyday about my friends. Thanks for sharing Jennifer and wonderful interview ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now, it's a daggone shame when you WANT the rejection because you never got a response from a pubber, LOL

    Great interview...and JC, just in case you didn't know, YOU ROCK HARD.

    ReplyDelete

Interviewers

JC Martin is an aspiring author, a mother, and a wife. She has been reading books as far back as her memory will allow her to remember. She has always used books as an escape from her everyday life. Her passion for words became evident to her English teacher in the eighth grade. Since then Jennifer has been writing non-stop, but it was not until 2006 when she finally realized her passion. She reviews books because she truly loves reading, and wants to spread the word to more than just the people she knows.
DJ Frazier is an Ohio-born, spoken-word poet who has composed poetry since she was able to hold a laddie pencil. As reviewer for A Place Of Our Own (APOOO) and aspiring novelist, she dabbles in the literary scene from all perspectives. She has been published on www.thebacklist.net, interviewed on www.blogginginblack.com, and is currently submitting fiction manuscripts to publishers while juggling daughterhood, sisterhood, wifedom, parenthood, and of course, writing. Outside of family and all things literary, Darnetta overindulges in Hip-Hop, dabbles in computer graphic design, and creates handcrafted cards, candles, and jewelry.