Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Author Angelia Vernon Menchan

Author Angelia Vernon Menchan


Born and raised in Ocala, Florida, currently residing in Jacksonville, Florida, Angelia Vernon Menchan is a wife, mother, mentor and former Job Corps Counselor. Mrs. Menchan is the author of several books; Black's Trilogy (Black's Obsession, Cinnamon's Universe, and Brown's Possession...A Family's Progression), and her first coming-of-age novel Is No Not Clear Enough For You. She is a reviewer for APOOO BookClub and reviews for the Amazon Vine Program at amazon.com.



Tell us a little bit about you outside of being an author

I am a wife of thirty years, mother to two sons, Maurice 28 and Malik, almost twenty three. I am gainfully employed as a Administrative Budget Officer and love mentoring more than anything outside of loving my family. I am currently, mentoring a twenty-one year old, getting her life back on track and most importantly I Love God!

What is your earliest writing memory?

My cousins taught me to write at age four, read as well, I can remember copying down words for my Godfather who could not read or write...My first published work was as a high school senior, I was asked to participate in a debutante function and had to write a paper entitled, Overcoming Adversity to Achieve Success.

What feelings do you experience once you are satisfied with your completed manuscript(s)?

An amazing sense of peace, now that I have gotten the people out of my head and on the page...laughing

In your upcoming release or newly released book, how did you come up with the idea of your main character(s)?

Schae in Schae's Story: A Woman's Transformation was an intriguing character in the first book of my trilogy, Black's Obsession. Hers was a story dying to be told, the beautiful woman who spent her whole life, seemingly, getting by on her looks and sexuality. However, once she ages and chooses a more spiritual path the world gets to see that she is a smart, funny, loving woman with a great deal to offer.

Tell us a little bit about your work in progress and/or your upcoming release.

The aforementioned is my upcoming release for December and I am about two thirds done with Mrs. Black? Mrs. Black is the conclusion to my trilogy and very loving love triangle for Black's Obsession, Cinnamon's Universe and Brown's Possession, A Family's Progression, my seventh book since January 2006!

I’m a big believer that word of mouth creates more sales than advertisements. Let’s say I’ve never read any of your books before, how would you pitch the idea of your latest release to me?

What Does a woman do when she has spent her life being perceived as the ultimate Golddigger, a beautiful woman who has it all strictly based on her feminine wiles? Well, if she is Schae Marie Jackson, she turns her life around on a dime, shows them all what's up. Allowing them to see that beneath the weave, makeup and curves is a smart, savvy, and more importantly Spiritual sister who can handle her business...all on her own, through God's grace!

I consider myself a tough critic when reviewing books. What do or would you do when you receive a mediocre or less than average rating from a reviewer or reader?

My first book was rated a 3 by a respected review club, I took what they said to heart and tightened up my game. They reviewed me fairly and constructively and did not make it nasty or personal and to date I consider it one of the best reviews I have ever gotten, though it was the lowest.

What authors influence your writing dreams, goals and aspirations?

I have many favorite authors, Colin Channer, Pearl Cleage, Dianne Mckinney Whetstone, James Baldwin and so many others, what they have in common is they don't necessarily write to a demographic, they simply write well and tell their stories, allowing readers to take from it what they will. I am that same way, if you love what I do super, if not, feel free to choose someone's work that suits you better. My philosophy is there is an abundance for all of us. I will not stand in your way, please don't get in mine.

What books would you recommend on writing?

Stephen King has a wonderful book entitled, On Writing as does Walter Mosely, entitled, This Year You Write Your Novel, there are many books and magazines on the market for writers. The Writers Market is a wonderful tool.

If you could change one thing you did during your road to publication, what would it be and what would you have done different?

Not a thing, I am one of those people who would give nothing for my journey. God has completely blessed me and he leads me to do things the way I have done them. By publishing my own work I have been able to reach people my community in ways I may never have gotten and opportunity to do.

What advice would you give an aspiring author?

To understand that writing is more than writing. There are many components that go into getting a book out there. Most importantly writing, in my humble opinion should be a driving passion and a writer must be willing to take GOOD criticism and learn from it. The flip side is that negative criticism is a part of it and one must have a very tough hide in order to put their work out for the masses.

Where can readers learn more about you and your books?

www.angeliavmenchan.com

www.mammproductions.com

amazon.com

bn.com

half.com



13 comments:

  1. Thanks, I am so TOUCHED...

    Love you both Madly!
    angelia (mama deep)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "An amazing sense of peace, now that I have gotten the people out of my head and on the page...laughing"

    I feel you on this one. LOL. Great interview, ladies!

    Gwyneth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angelia, we love you too. You are truly an inspiration to both of us and your words of wisdom always gets us thinking.

    Gwyneth, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great interview! I have to second Gwyneth on the comment regarding the "An amazing sense of peace" comment, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview. A textbook model for success. Hey JC and Poetic Genesis, great idea you guys cooked up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CLG: Thanks! And I know the peace you speak of.

    Dera: Thanks! We all can learn something from Angelia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angelia is very inspiring, I'm blessed to know her! I can't wait to read Schae's Story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the blog, ladies! I'm really enjoying "meeting" a range of authors you may not get a chance to hear about. Their personal thoughts on writing and their work makes you want to learn more.

    Thanks, Angelia and all the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. To JC and Poetic Justice... wonderful! Ladies you inspire me to try beyond my reach :-)

    Angelia.. you are awesome.. Love your faith, dedication, and spirit :-) Can't wait to read the new book.

    'cilla

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent...great interview by all!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lena: I can't wait to read Schae's story either.

    Zetta: Aren't they awesome though? More is coming.

    'Cilla: REach for the stars. I love Angelia also. Her stories are great.

    Yasmin: Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed this interview. I was especially impressed by Angelia's reaction to a less than flattering review. It is human nature to take this personally or become discouraged. She used it to become better. I admire that and will take it to heart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought the advise Angelia gave to aspiring authors is a good one. Its a sure thing authors will get both good reviews and bad. Take it for what it is. But always strive to tighten up your writing skills.

    Tinisha Johnson
    www.TinishaNicoleJohnson.com

    ReplyDelete

Interviewers

JC Martin is an aspiring author, a mother, and a wife. She has been reading books as far back as her memory will allow her to remember. She has always used books as an escape from her everyday life. Her passion for words became evident to her English teacher in the eighth grade. Since then Jennifer has been writing non-stop, but it was not until 2006 when she finally realized her passion. She reviews books because she truly loves reading, and wants to spread the word to more than just the people she knows.
DJ Frazier is an Ohio-born, spoken-word poet who has composed poetry since she was able to hold a laddie pencil. As reviewer for A Place Of Our Own (APOOO) and aspiring novelist, she dabbles in the literary scene from all perspectives. She has been published on www.thebacklist.net, interviewed on www.blogginginblack.com, and is currently submitting fiction manuscripts to publishers while juggling daughterhood, sisterhood, wifedom, parenthood, and of course, writing. Outside of family and all things literary, Darnetta overindulges in Hip-Hop, dabbles in computer graphic design, and creates handcrafted cards, candles, and jewelry.