Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Author K. L. Bevin


POET & AUTHOR K.L BEVIN




I was born, and continue to reside, in South Jamaica, New York. At 40-years-old I am a father of four, teacher for the New York City Department of Education for over eleven years, a born again Christian and I am recently married. My lovely supportive wife is my strength, best friend, and editor of most of my work. Together we started and run our own publishing company called Bravin Publishing LLC. In the future we hope to be able to give authors a home, to get their work read without the worry of being taken advantage of. All while showing a united front in marriage and business. The writing and creation of a publishing company is also my way of presenting me as a role model for today’s youth and the African American community.

I obtained my A.S. in business from Kingsborough Community College; City University of New York, a B.S. in Education from York College; City University of New York and I hold a Master’s Degree in Education, specializing in Curriculum Writing, Assessments and Teaching from Walden University. I anticipate beginning my Ph.D. studies in early 2009.

I am a writer of poetry and fictional and non-fictional stories. “A Man in Transition” is my first completed work and will be the first book published by Bravin Publishing. Over the years I changed my focus from erotic based content to romance, spiritual inspirations and social promotion due to religious choices. I hope to offer the world-focused insight of a man who has completely changed his life to helping and supporting others. I believe my writing expresses my growth as a man who, now, attempts to offer counsel, entertainment and guidance to all he meets.

Traveling around the world, spending quality time with my children, coaching basketball, bowling, and cooking are a few of my other passions. I love to meet new people and use my internet blogs to write stories on my observations of the world.

I have faith that the Lord will use my writing to reach people to let them know they have someone in their corner. I am that someone who through his work will tell their story or touch their hearts. I have found we all go through similar situations and I want to be the person that writes for the masses.



Tell us a little bit about you outside of being a poet/author.


Outside of being a poet and author I am an educator, father and husband... I teach for the New York City Dept of Education, which I have done for the past 12 years. It is my first love. Trying to get children to fulfill their potential is a passion. I have taught various subjects, however Health Education is one of my favorite subjects to teach. It’s the freedom of the subject that I enjoy. I have four children who are the reason I work hard to make a difference in this world. My best friend is my wife. We are celebrating our first year of marriage. The first was fantastic and I can’t wait for our future. She knows about my negative past and we have worked our way past it to become a tighter unified couple. All of these areas are the fuel behind my writing.


What is your earliest writing memory?


I wrote in middle school back in the 1970’s but nothing serious. Over the years I have come to terms that I have a tremendous imagination but I didn’t take writing serious until about 1999. Much of my writing history began there with erotic stories and poems. It was the writing I was doing on the internet in various clubs and social groups of the time. Most of the writing was of an erotic nature because that is what dominated my thoughts and life in those days. Now after changing my life and allowing the Lord to lead my steps my writing focus is spiritual, romance, thought provoking in nature and of course educational centered.


Describe your writing style.


My writing style I consider to be “simplistically thought provoking”. I feel I am a better speaker than writer so I don’t try to overwhelm the reader with words. What I try to do when I am writing is get you to think in a deeper manner by simply placing my thoughts or imagination in front of you. The “less is more” idea is the secret behind my style of writing. I believe that people who read come to the table with a level of intelligence that doesn’t require you to play with their thoughts more so they want to take the trip with you. It’s my belief if you make the story interesting but no so over the top you don’t lose the reader but draw them in deeper.


Tell us a little bit about your work in progress and/or your upcoming release.


I am in the process of beginning my non-fiction story based on my life from male whore to man of God. The title is called From Gigolo to Jesus. My life as a sexual predator. With this book I am going to put the business of men playing games on women out in the street for the world to see. I made a living treating woman like objects in my run as a misogynist. I now want to help as many women and men who want to change their lives as I can. I believe there are brothers out there who want to stop living the way they are but simply don’t know how or where to turn to change. I know there are women who can benefit from insider information on the games men play and what emotions we are dealing with when trapped in that mode. I will also show what can happen when a man connects his life to something morally deeper than one’s self. It will be a fun, informative, passionate read.


Poetry can evoke deep emotions for the reader, as the poet, what emotions do you feel when you are creating a piece?


My feelings depend on the pieces itself. My current poetry book is laced with emotional contributions. I don’t know how to write a particular piece without the feelings of the theme flowing through it. I have cried, pouted, smiled and laughed at things I have written. When others have read my work I have seen the same emotional reaction in them it truly fuels my motivation.


Give me one to four lines of a poem you wrote that will make us go hmmm.


OK where are a few lines from one of my favorite poems called. Perfect Woman (If only in my mind.) which is a dedication to my wife.


There is something about the way she understands my needs.

Are there other women who would love another’s children like her own?

Would another woman be strong enough to trust God and take you back when you have tasted someone else’s fruits?

Her soul is pure enough to douse the evil that once filled my own.

From “A Perfect Woman”, A Man in Transition by K. L. 2008


I’m a big believer that word of mouth creates more sales than advertisements. Let’s say we’re standing at a bus stop and I’ve never read any of your poetry before, how would approach me and persuade me to purchase your book?


Hmmm the sales pitch huh, OK; since I am a big guy I have to be very careful how I approach folks. I don’t want to be intimidating. I would turn with a big smile and ask “How are you today?” with a positive response from you I would say “I am an educator trying to get my poetry book off the ground. If you don’t mind can I share something with you?” Now this is the tricky part but most of the time I get a positive response. Now it’s a matter of choosing the right poem to share. If it’s a female its “Perfect Woman”, male its “I am not Superman but I am Dad”. Each of those poems strike at feelings which normally are deep rooted in both genders. At this point I hand you my book and ask do you think you can support an educator trying to make a difference with urban children?


I consider myself a tough critic when reviewing books. What would you do if you received a mediocre or less than average rating from a reviewer or reader?


I would thank the person for offering their opinion. I would take time to think about what was said and if there is merit to it then I consider acting on it. One thing I wouldn’t do is react negatively to a person who doesn’t find my work to their liking. I would be uneasy if no one found anything wrong with my work. Nothing is perfect, perfection is an unrealistic perception. I am such a harsh critic of my own work that I don’t think anyone can be tougher on me. I really do welcome the negatives because I enjoy the comments it means the person took the time to read my work.


What poets/poems inspire you most?


The poem that inspires me the most is a very common piece, it’s Our Greatest Fear —Marianne Williamson. The piece speaks to what has held me back from being the best I could have been for years. I have stood in the way of being my own success for some time. It’s a tremendous read. Many get the author confused they believe it was Nelson Mandela who wrote it but it was Marianne Williamson. When I heard it recited in the movie Coach Carter it was so on point for the scene that it brought tears to my eyes. Yes I am a big softy too. Don’t tell anyone.


If you could change one thing you did during your road to publication, what would it be and what would you have done different?


That is something I have discussed often with others and to self. If I could go back to earlier this year, I would have waited another 6 months to a year on releasing my current poetry book. I would have taken that time to learn more about the business of writing, promotions and marketing. I wouldn’t have placed so much faith in others for financial support. I learned a painful lesson by not having the capital in place when placing my book on the market. I took a financial loss with the release of my book and didn’t have the market in place to recover the way I should have. Now I take in all I have learned and apply it to getting myself better prepared for the release of the next book. I will not make the same mistakes as before.


What advice would you give an aspiring poet regarding publishing?


I would say read the last answer and I would tell them to read, learn, read and learn some more about publishing in every aspect. I would tell a new poet to make sure they have a strong idea of who they are going to market their work too. Make sure they know what they want their book to look like when its time for printing and distribution. They need to consider how they are going to create a buzz for their work. Finally please have a plan for all your publishing needs before laying your poetry into someone else’s hands.


Where can readers learn more about you and your book(s)?


I have a website that I update as often as I can. www.KLthewriter.com is my online home where you can find out what’s going on with me. I also use MySpace to give everyone a chance to hear or read about me. www.myspace.com/KLthewriter is the location. I am creating a website for my publishing company it will be up and running very soon. My publishing company is named after my wife and me. Her last name and my own created Bravin Publishing LLC.


Pick up your copy of

"A Man In Transition"

by K. L.


3 comments:

  1. I'm a BIG fan of KL, and his honest and heartfelt answers in this interview illustrate WHY I'm a fan, :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, Cool, Cool, I reviewed this book and I loved it, loved it, loved it. Great Interview!

    angelia mama deep

    ReplyDelete

Interviewers

JC Martin is an aspiring author, a mother, and a wife. She has been reading books as far back as her memory will allow her to remember. She has always used books as an escape from her everyday life. Her passion for words became evident to her English teacher in the eighth grade. Since then Jennifer has been writing non-stop, but it was not until 2006 when she finally realized her passion. She reviews books because she truly loves reading, and wants to spread the word to more than just the people she knows.
DJ Frazier is an Ohio-born, spoken-word poet who has composed poetry since she was able to hold a laddie pencil. As reviewer for A Place Of Our Own (APOOO) and aspiring novelist, she dabbles in the literary scene from all perspectives. She has been published on www.thebacklist.net, interviewed on www.blogginginblack.com, and is currently submitting fiction manuscripts to publishers while juggling daughterhood, sisterhood, wifedom, parenthood, and of course, writing. Outside of family and all things literary, Darnetta overindulges in Hip-Hop, dabbles in computer graphic design, and creates handcrafted cards, candles, and jewelry.