Thursday, November 6, 2008

Author Allison Knight

Author Allison Knight


Allison, like many authors, read a book she didn’t like. Despite occasional digs from her children, she wrote a romance. “Heartsong” released in August of 2008, is her thirteenth book.

A retired teacher, she’s taught fiction writing and spoken at conferences throughout the country.


She and her husband moved south to the land of hurricanes and sunshine. When she isn’t watching the weather, she writes, creating heroes and heroines, then

finding ways to make their lives miserable.


Her fourteenth book, a romance set in the Yukon, will be available in March of 2009. Currently she is working on a Sequel to her August release, another set in Philadelphia in the 1870's, and a traditional Gothic Romance.




Heartsong



Tell us a little bit about you outside of being an author.


I'm a retired high school teacher. I giggle when I tell people I used to teach Home Ec. Now I write romance. Seems to go together somehow. I'm also married to my own hero of almost 50 years and we have four children. I love to play penny slots because that way you don't lose much. I read a lot because I love books, all kinds of books.


What is your earliest writing memory?


In the seventh grade, I wrote poetry, and some it was not too bad, for a kid. Then in the eighth grade I won an essay contest - for money. That truly began my writing experience.


What feelings do you experience once you are satisfied with your completed manuscript(s)?


This is a terrible way to answer, but I have to say, I'm never completely satisfied. I’m relieved that I’m writing "The End", but even after a dozen rewrites, I can always go back and find something I should have changed. My best feelings are a sense of relief when the publishers say they want it.


In your upcoming release or newly released book, how did you come up with the idea of your main character(s)?

I grew up listening to classical music. My father wanted to be an opera singer. The two main characters in Heartsong, my latest release, appeared while I was listening to the last act of "Faust". I literally saw the heroine and the hero in what turned out to be the black moment of the novel. I knew immediately I had to tell their story.


Tell us a little bit about your work in progress and/or your upcoming release.


A Treasure for Sara will be released in March 2009. This tale probably has my most favorite hero. The story takes place in the Yukon, before the gold rush. Bear is the quintessential mountain man, a real loner. Sara is a vivacious young woman from Philadelphia. Bear has very little to say, and Sara talks all the time. Boy, did I have fun with them. This was probably the book with which I had the most fun. I just never knew what would pop out of Sara's mouth, or how Bear would react to it. But, eventually, she learns to keep her mouth shut and he learns to talk. Great fun.


I’m a big believer that word of mouth creates more sales than advertisements. Let’s say I’ve never read any of your books before, how would you pitch the idea of your latest release to me?


If you like history, and a tale of intrigue, kings, princesses and what happened before the age of enlightenment, you'll enjoy this tale of an English Baron who hates the Welsh, and a Welsh princess who becomes his captive. Together they encounter the problems of the time - raids, wars, persecutions and sibling rivalry but love does conquer all.


I consider myself a tough critic when reviewing books. What do or would you do when you receive a mediocre or less than average rating from a reviewer or reader?


I cry a lot. No, not really. The first gothic I wrote received a mediocre review, and even my own granddaughter wasn’t particularly fond of it because it was written in first person, but then you can’t please everyone. If the book pleases me and my husband likes it, then I’m satisfied. And yes, he does read everything I write. He’s my first editor and if he doesn’t like it, I find out why. He offers suggestions, I rewrite until he gives his okay. So far, he’ll always been right.


What authors influence your writing dreams, goals and aspirations?


I think every writer of romance has a warm spot for Kathleen Woodiwess. She and Rosemary Rogers got me hooked on romance. Their books inspired me to try my hand at story telling.


What books would you recommend on writing?


One of my favorite books and I still refer to it is “Writing Fiction, Nonfiction, and How to Publish” by Pat Kubis and Bob Howland. I also think I have all of Writer’s Digest’s “The Elements of Writing Fiction.” I do have a whole library of how to books, but the ones I’ve mentioned I still refer to often.


If you could change one thing you did during your road to publication, what would

it be and what would you have done different?


I think the one thing I would have changed was to stay with my first agent. I’ve had several agents and they were never as successful as my first. I also would start writing Gothics much sooner than I did.


What advice would you give an aspiring author?


Perhaps the best thing is to never give up. Like many authors, I hit a dry spell. For nearly eight years I couldn’t publish a thing. In the last eight years, I’ve had ten books released. Don’t give up. And don’t believe because you publish one, two even three books, you’re “In like Flynn”. The publishing business doesn’t work that way.


Where can readers learn more about you and your books?


I have a web page, I blog and I feature my characters on the blog with many other authors. My web page, blog and character blog are listed.


www.AllisonKnight.com

www.AllisonKnight.blogspot.com

www.MyCharacters.blogspot.com

6 comments:

  1. Great interview, love the diversity,,,

    BLESSINGS...
    angelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the interview! The characters in a Treasure for Sara sound like fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, eight years?
    That is a long dry spell.

    Heartsong is a wonderful novel!
    Can't get enough medieval romances!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi does it feel being on the other end of an interview blog? I think you did terrific, and I really love your "It's My Turn to Talk" blog. Bet you don't wait long for contracts now. Keep them coming.
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Allison! Great interview. I'm so with you on Kathleen Woodiwiss and Rosemary Rogers hooking me on romance at an early age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely interview. I feel I know you now, Allison. My husband is Welsh and our children were born in Wales, so any book set in Wales hooks me.

    ReplyDelete

Interviewers

JC Martin is an aspiring author, a mother, and a wife. She has been reading books as far back as her memory will allow her to remember. She has always used books as an escape from her everyday life. Her passion for words became evident to her English teacher in the eighth grade. Since then Jennifer has been writing non-stop, but it was not until 2006 when she finally realized her passion. She reviews books because she truly loves reading, and wants to spread the word to more than just the people she knows.
DJ Frazier is an Ohio-born, spoken-word poet who has composed poetry since she was able to hold a laddie pencil. As reviewer for A Place Of Our Own (APOOO) and aspiring novelist, she dabbles in the literary scene from all perspectives. She has been published on www.thebacklist.net, interviewed on www.blogginginblack.com, and is currently submitting fiction manuscripts to publishers while juggling daughterhood, sisterhood, wifedom, parenthood, and of course, writing. Outside of family and all things literary, Darnetta overindulges in Hip-Hop, dabbles in computer graphic design, and creates handcrafted cards, candles, and jewelry.