Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Author Jon Bradbury

Author Jon Bradbury








Tell us a little bit about you outside of being an author.

Well, I love to read -- books, magazines, online blogs, everything. I love listening to music, esp 80's rock, R&B, some hip-hop. I also have a large DVD collection, and go see a movie in the theater as often as I can, but not nearly often enough. My favorite TV shows right now are Dancing With The Stars and So You Think You Can Dance.

What is your earliest writing memory?

Thinking that maybe writing is something I should pursue, after my high school english teacher told me my writing was really good.

What feelings do you experience once you are satisfied with your completed manuscript(s)?

Wow, that is a great question. On the one hand, I'm glad to finally finish the thing. But at the same time, I know that's not the end. It's actually the beginning of something bigger. Then I take a short vacation from writing, before I dive into the next one LOL.

In your upcoming release or newly released book, how did you come up with the idea of your main character(s)?

Well, the idea just came to me one day, for a cop that saves the life of a big-wig. I started the story at that scene, and the story just grew from there. I don't really remember one thing causing me to think of the idea. It just popped out of my head one day. *smile*

Tell us a little bit about your work in progress and/or your upcoming release.

Well it's about a police officer who, as the story starts out, loves his life, his job, his friends, he even has a girlfriend. But then he saves the life of a prominent local business man who's doing a speech announcing his run for public office. Now the cop finds himself facing a lot of temptations -- like money, and the politician's wife, who is a gorgeous soap opera actress. So the whole story is about this one guy sticking to his morals and coming out the other side. It's also a detective story, as they try to figure out who's trying to get this business man killed.

I’m a big believer that word of mouth creates more sales than advertisements. Let’s say I’ve never read any of your books before, how would you pitch the idea of your latest release to me?

It's about a business man, his wife, and the cop who saves his life.

I consider myself a tough critic when reviewing books. What do or would you do when if received a mediocre or less than average rating from a reviewer or reader?

Well, in the past, with a website like Fallen Angel Reviews, I asked for another review. *smile*

What authors influence your writing dreams, goals, and aspirations?

Tom Clancy, Eric Jerome Dickey, Elmore Leonard, Ben Bova, Isaac Asimov, Terry McMillian, Micheal Crichton

What books would you recommend on writing?

"How To Write For Comics" by Peter David. Yeah, I know its for comic books. But it has many lessons to glean.

If you could change one thing you did during your road to publication, what would it be and what would you have done different?
Knowing what I know now, I would have gone to a different

publisher, for the reason that the niche I write in, and the style I write in, is more compatible with some publishers than others.

What advice would you give an aspiring author?

One, to practice every day, even if it's just a sentence or two, or even just a few words. And two, read as much as you can from as many different sources as possible.

Where can readers learn more about you and your books?

www.extasybooks.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/interracialeroticromance

Thanks Jon for taking the time to share with us. We wish you continued success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interviewers

JC Martin is an aspiring author, a mother, and a wife. She has been reading books as far back as her memory will allow her to remember. She has always used books as an escape from her everyday life. Her passion for words became evident to her English teacher in the eighth grade. Since then Jennifer has been writing non-stop, but it was not until 2006 when she finally realized her passion. She reviews books because she truly loves reading, and wants to spread the word to more than just the people she knows.
DJ Frazier is an Ohio-born, spoken-word poet who has composed poetry since she was able to hold a laddie pencil. As reviewer for A Place Of Our Own (APOOO) and aspiring novelist, she dabbles in the literary scene from all perspectives. She has been published on www.thebacklist.net, interviewed on www.blogginginblack.com, and is currently submitting fiction manuscripts to publishers while juggling daughterhood, sisterhood, wifedom, parenthood, and of course, writing. Outside of family and all things literary, Darnetta overindulges in Hip-Hop, dabbles in computer graphic design, and creates handcrafted cards, candles, and jewelry.