Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Author Nikki Ransom

Author Nikki Ransom



Bio: Nikki Ransom graduated from South High School in Columbus, Ohio in 1997. After graduating, she joined the workforce and then went on to receive her bachelor of Business Administration from DeVry University where she was also chosen to be the Student Commencement Speaker for her graduation in October 2005.

To read more of the author's bio please visit her website.

Tell us a little bit about you outside of being an author.


The main thing I can say about myself outside of being an author is that I am a mother of four! That's consuming in itself. Also I am a motivational speaker and my passion is to help young women enhance themselves as well as their community.


What is your earliest writing memory?


I have always written poems and what not as a child but around when I turned about 25 years old, I got this overwhelming urge to write non-fiction as a way to reach out to others and now, here I am!


What feelings do you experience once you are satisfied with your completed manuscript(s)?


Its kind of like giving birth to me. I cried. For months and months, even years, you are pouring yourself into your manuscript and when its done, it's like "here is my baby! It's done!" Finishing is a huge relief but then you are terrified because now its time for the world to see (and also critique) what you have given birth to.


In your upcoming release or newly released book, how did you come up with the idea of your main character(s)?


My book is non-fiction so all of the main characters are very real.


Tell us a little bit about your work in progress and/or your upcoming release.


Well "Hidden Butterflies" has already been released only a couple of weeks. This book takes a look into a woman's life (myself) that never loved herself and how that missing aspect of my life almost ended my life, literally. I ended up marrying a man that would cause me to lose my home, my car, everything and end up on the street with my kids. Unfortunately, he has just been released from jail for threatening my life. So, I am also working on Part two of the book which will go into more depth about coming out of that marriage and keeping safe, finding real love, as well as the excitement surrounding the release of my first book.


I'm a big believer that word of mouth creates more sales than advertisements. Let's say I've never read any of your books before, how would you pitch the idea of your latest release to me?


I would say that "I came to write "Hidden Butterflies" after finally leaving my drug addicted, abusive husband. During my relationship with him, I was verbally, emotionally, sexually, and physically abused so much to where I began to think that suicide would be my only way to freedom. My husband had such control over me that he persuaded me to take a second job as a stripper and even attempted to turn me into a prostitute. This book, other than being wildly entertaining and thought-provoking, serves as a cautionary tale to women of what can happen when we do not develop our own self-esteem and also the importance of instilling this self-worth in our daughters.


I consider myself a tough critic when reviewing books. What do or would you do when you receive a mediocre or less than average rating from a reviewer or reader?


It might sting at first, but hey, there are people out there that don't like lobster, so I can't expect everyone to like my book.


What authors influence your writing dreams, goals and aspirations?


Robin Givens and Valorie Burton


What books would you recommend on writing?


I personally couldn't recommend any. My books are about my life and I just the words pour out and fixed it up afterwards.


If you could change one thing you did during your road to publication, what would it be and what would you have done different?


I would have gotten a better editor. I was on a tight budget and self-published, so I went with an editor that gave me a great deal but not-so-great editing.


What advice would you give an aspiring author?

My advice would be to not let anyone tell you 'no' or that you can't do it or won't make it as a writer. If major publishers won't accept your book then do it yourself. No matter what, get your word out there to the public.


Where can readers learn more about you and your books?


They can learn more about me and my books at my website www.nikkiransom.org.


Thank you Nikki for taking time out of your busy schedule to share with us.

1 comment:

Interviewers

JC Martin is an aspiring author, a mother, and a wife. She has been reading books as far back as her memory will allow her to remember. She has always used books as an escape from her everyday life. Her passion for words became evident to her English teacher in the eighth grade. Since then Jennifer has been writing non-stop, but it was not until 2006 when she finally realized her passion. She reviews books because she truly loves reading, and wants to spread the word to more than just the people she knows.
DJ Frazier is an Ohio-born, spoken-word poet who has composed poetry since she was able to hold a laddie pencil. As reviewer for A Place Of Our Own (APOOO) and aspiring novelist, she dabbles in the literary scene from all perspectives. She has been published on www.thebacklist.net, interviewed on www.blogginginblack.com, and is currently submitting fiction manuscripts to publishers while juggling daughterhood, sisterhood, wifedom, parenthood, and of course, writing. Outside of family and all things literary, Darnetta overindulges in Hip-Hop, dabbles in computer graphic design, and creates handcrafted cards, candles, and jewelry.