Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Author Desiree Day

Author Desiree Day


Tell us a little bit about you outside of being an author.

I live in the suburbs of one of the greatest cities in the world, Atlanta, GA. I moved here from New York. I am a single mother of a two-year old and I work full time at a local college.

What is your earliest writing memory?

I can’t remember that far back. But I remember being really transformed through journaling. I started journaling about twenty years ago and I still do it. I don’t write as faithfully as I did twenty years ago, but when I do write it’s usually pages worth. I find journaling very therapeutic.

What feelings do you experience once you are satisfied with your completed manuscript(s)?

A huge sense of accomplishment and relief, I’m sure fellow writers can relate.

In your upcoming release or newly released book, how did you come up with the idea of your main character(s)?

My soon to be released novel is a paranormal. I’ve never written a paranormal before and I am very excited at being able to do so. I had the idea years ago, but never explored it. I submitted a synopsis of the story to my editor and she was very interested. Now that I’m writing it, I really love it. There are very little boundaries in paranormals, since you are creating your own little world, the sky is the limit.

Tell us a little bit about your work in progress and/or your upcoming release.

My upcoming release is tentatively titled, Spiritual Seduction. It’s about a formerly abusive husband who is killed and returns as a ghost. He seduces her into believing that he’s changed, but when she finds out that he’s even more hateful towards her when he’s dead than when he was alive, she tries to escape him. Unknown to her, a colleague of hers is a warrior who destroys ghosts. She ends up falling in love with the warrior. There’s a battle, and the readers have to decide is it a conflict between good and evil, the dead and the undead or simply man versus man over a woman.

I’m a big believer that word of mouth creates more sales than advertisements. Let’s say I've never read any of your books before, how would you pitch the idea of your latest release to me?

Pick up my novel if you are interested in something that will have you peeking in the darkest corners and reaching for your sweetheart after reading some of the sex scenes.

I consider myself a tough critic when reviewing books. What do or would you do when you receive a mediocre or less than average rating from a reviewer or reader?

At first it bothered me, but not so much now. I realize that reviews are very subjective and what one person might like another person might not. It’s not the end of the world, and I don’t lose any sleep over bad reviews.

What authors influence your writing dreams, goals and aspirations?

I admire Zora Neale Hurston for her writing, I can read her stories a million times and never get bored. I love Zane, she’s an awesome businesswoman. If I accomplish only a tenth of what she’s done, I’ll be happy. And I really enjoy any writer who can take me to another world or teach me something new.

What books would you recommend on writing?

I am embarrassed to say that I haven’t read any books on writing in years. I really enjoy reading articles on writing. I look specifically for articles on character development, plot and dialogue.

If you could change one thing you did during your road to publication, what would it be and what would you have done different?

There isn’t anything that I would have changed. I look back at it now and realize that it wasn’t that bad. It took me nearly a year to secure my literary agent. Looking back, it really wasn’t that long. I have been fortunate, I respect my agent and I really enjoy working with my editor at Pocket Books.

What advice would you give an aspiring author?

Keep writing, network, don’t be afraid of rejection or criticism and keep writing.

Where can readers learn more about you and your books?

They can visit my website at www.desireeday.com.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Desiree...and sign APOOO up for a review copy of your next book...it sounds like something right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete

Interviewers

JC Martin is an aspiring author, a mother, and a wife. She has been reading books as far back as her memory will allow her to remember. She has always used books as an escape from her everyday life. Her passion for words became evident to her English teacher in the eighth grade. Since then Jennifer has been writing non-stop, but it was not until 2006 when she finally realized her passion. She reviews books because she truly loves reading, and wants to spread the word to more than just the people she knows.
DJ Frazier is an Ohio-born, spoken-word poet who has composed poetry since she was able to hold a laddie pencil. As reviewer for A Place Of Our Own (APOOO) and aspiring novelist, she dabbles in the literary scene from all perspectives. She has been published on www.thebacklist.net, interviewed on www.blogginginblack.com, and is currently submitting fiction manuscripts to publishers while juggling daughterhood, sisterhood, wifedom, parenthood, and of course, writing. Outside of family and all things literary, Darnetta overindulges in Hip-Hop, dabbles in computer graphic design, and creates handcrafted cards, candles, and jewelry.