Thursday, February 5, 2009

Author Anjalon Edwards

Author Anjalon Edwards




Author's Bio: As a mother and a stepmother, Anjalon Edwards found writing to be therapeutic and relaxing. She began her interest in writing in 2005 after curiously taking a writing aptitude test which led her to complete a course with the Institute of Children’s Literature.

To read more of Anjalon's bio check out her website.

Let’s start getting your shine on. Tell us who you are beyond an author.

I’m an author, a mother of 2 (and stepmother of 1), a wife, a daughter, a sister (and sister-in-law), a social worker, and a field instructor. I am also the co-founder of a women’s social group called Ladies of Mahoghany.

Show us when you realized you had a passion for writing?

Well, since high school I always knew that writing was a relaxing and fun outlet for me. When other people were passing notes back and forth between classes, my best friend and I were passing a notebook of stories.

We understand that uniqueness counts in the literary world, but we equally understand there must be relatability. Tell us an author with whom you share similar writing styles.

I’m not sure, I have read a variety of authors but if I must pick one it might by Terri McMillan.

Show us how your styles are similar.

Simply because I like to write in first person. It was easy to accomplish my goal of drawing the reader into the main character’s world. Also, I think “we” write reality-based fiction because our stories are real and based off truth.

Tell us your preferred writing genre and the genre you prefer to read.

I prefer contemporary fiction. I would like to consider my current novel as a crossover between contemporary Christian and urban contemporary fiction. I want to break into non-fiction using my personal experience and studies as a social worker.

Show us what your audience looks like.

Mostly female. But I have had some male fans, mostly my friends. I welcome everyone because my current novel explores familial relationships so everyone can relate.

Tell us an important lesson, on the business side of publishing that you've learned on your journey.

Marketing is very difficult and if you don’t do enough of it, you won’t sell. Also, it takes money to make money so if you are a self-published author then be ready to invest and price your book at a price where you can make a decent profit. Lastly, just like any other job, it’s who you now. I have received some great opportunities but it was timing and some name dropping that got me that far. I’m still working on it.

Going back to the beginning, show us the day you received your publication offer or the first time you saw your bound book.

Wow, I was ecstatic! I showed my husband and my ladies group first. I was so proud to invest in myself and see the end product in front of me.

Tell us your expectations of an aspiring author approaching you for information about writing/publishing?

Come with a well edited galley. Be ready to press pass any introvertness you may have so you can advertise and sell.

Ready to shine? Tell us the name of your book.

My fiction novel is called Reality Check: Stepmother Chronicles. Carmen Fuller is getting fed up with the baby mama drama, her meddling in-laws and her guilt-driven husband. Stress levels run high for this thirty-two year old mother of two. She struggles with her feelings as a stepmother to nine year old Junior and discovers that she is not alone. Her situation intensifies when she suspects her husband, Tyrell, of unfaithfulness. The couple struggles with moving forward. As she figures things out, she makes some astonishing discoveries about Junior that have been happening all along. Carmen decides to choose her battles carefully and accept things for what they are.

From one of your character's point of view, show us why we should buy it.

I believe that almost every parent can attest to being so caught up in your child that you neglect the relationship between you and your spouse. I for one did and I paid for it. I didn’t realize how much my desire to be that cool and fun parent would affect my intimate relationship with my wife. I found out the hard way that I’ve got a lot to learn about being the head of my household. It’s high time I pull out the Keith Sweat and keep my other half happy. (Tyrell Fuller)

Tell us where we can find you on the internet.

Reality Check: Stepmother Chronicles is available at major online bookstores Amazon, Borders, and Barnes&Noble.

Reality Check: Stepmother Chronicles

Thank you Anjalon for taking time out of your busy schedule to share with us.

1 comment:

  1. Another great author interview. Thanks for introducing me to another new author.

    ReplyDelete

Interviewers

JC Martin is an aspiring author, a mother, and a wife. She has been reading books as far back as her memory will allow her to remember. She has always used books as an escape from her everyday life. Her passion for words became evident to her English teacher in the eighth grade. Since then Jennifer has been writing non-stop, but it was not until 2006 when she finally realized her passion. She reviews books because she truly loves reading, and wants to spread the word to more than just the people she knows.
DJ Frazier is an Ohio-born, spoken-word poet who has composed poetry since she was able to hold a laddie pencil. As reviewer for A Place Of Our Own (APOOO) and aspiring novelist, she dabbles in the literary scene from all perspectives. She has been published on www.thebacklist.net, interviewed on www.blogginginblack.com, and is currently submitting fiction manuscripts to publishers while juggling daughterhood, sisterhood, wifedom, parenthood, and of course, writing. Outside of family and all things literary, Darnetta overindulges in Hip-Hop, dabbles in computer graphic design, and creates handcrafted cards, candles, and jewelry.