Sunday, December 7, 2008

Sherri's Song by Tonie Short



First I want to take this moment to say thank you to Tonie Short for taking the time out of his busy schedule to answer a few questions; giving us more insight into the characters in his novel Sherri’s Song.



Women are complicated beings; what techniques did you used to become in tune with a woman’s emotions enough to write from Sherri’s point-of-view?

I come from a large family. I grew up with seven sisters and a large extended family of mostly women. I have seen the good and bad in their relationships. And as I was developing Sherri, adding controversy in her life, I found myself pulling from some of their relationship experiences and interviews I conducted with other women. And as an author, I became so engrossed in the character I was developing.


Did you feel you were taking a risk writing Sherri’s Song in first person verses third person omnipresent?

Yes. Even though first person allows you to be more in tune with the protagonist, it also limits your latitude as to what you can include in the story. Hence, there are scenes that I wanted in the book, but couldn’t be added because I wrote in first person.


Where did you get your muse to write this dramatic story?

I started talking with women about domestic violence. And as I did, I bumped into some that wanted to let it all out. What he did and what they did. Out of their testimony, I had an idea of what I wanted the character to be and I started to write, using my God-given ability.


I noticed you did something only one other author that I know of have done. That’s including the title of your first novel inside the second. Where and why did you come up with this idea?

I was working on two books simultaneously. One of them happened to be the sequel to the first book. And thinking outside the box, I did it as an advertising ploy for my first novel.


Which one of your characters was the hardest to develop? Why?

Sherri. The book came through her eyes. And writing as a woman, being that I’m a man, I had to get all the little intricate things about women inside the story so that I would not looked forced. Also, maintain her drive to be a lady wrestling with the specter of her mother looming over her life and the desire to grow and be her own person. She is a fickled character.


Which character was your favorite? Why?

Tony; his character shows the vulnerable side of a man that wants to do right. Tony was on the fence, like many men are today. And when they invest so much in a relationship and it ends on a bad note, it tends to change them.


Let’s dream big for a minute. If you got the call saying someone wanted to turn Sherri’s Song into a movie who do you envision playing Sherri, Paul, Tony, Aaron, and Edwina?

This is a tough one. Sherri’s character is very complicated and dealing with a lot of issues. If I had a say in the matter, it would be:

Sherri: Kerry Washington; A beautiful woman that could pull this complicated character off.
Paul: Pretty Paul. I think Brian White would fill the bill.
Tony: Lamman Rucker
Aaron: Morris Chestnut
Edwina: Jennifer Hudson I think JHud could really make this character go.


Where can readers purchase Sherri’s Song?

For now:
www.meroepublishing.com

I hope for a release date to coincide with my hopes of a national distribution contract.

What is up next in your writing portfolio?

The long awaited sequel to The Gifted Child, John’s Saga. I’ve given readers a sneak peak in the back of Sherri’s Song.


We wish you good luck and success in all your endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interviewers

JC Martin is an aspiring author, a mother, and a wife. She has been reading books as far back as her memory will allow her to remember. She has always used books as an escape from her everyday life. Her passion for words became evident to her English teacher in the eighth grade. Since then Jennifer has been writing non-stop, but it was not until 2006 when she finally realized her passion. She reviews books because she truly loves reading, and wants to spread the word to more than just the people she knows.
DJ Frazier is an Ohio-born, spoken-word poet who has composed poetry since she was able to hold a laddie pencil. As reviewer for A Place Of Our Own (APOOO) and aspiring novelist, she dabbles in the literary scene from all perspectives. She has been published on www.thebacklist.net, interviewed on www.blogginginblack.com, and is currently submitting fiction manuscripts to publishers while juggling daughterhood, sisterhood, wifedom, parenthood, and of course, writing. Outside of family and all things literary, Darnetta overindulges in Hip-Hop, dabbles in computer graphic design, and creates handcrafted cards, candles, and jewelry.